OPTOMETRY FACULTY DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE
The Optometry Faculty Development Initiative’s leading goal is to support and enhance the training of optometrists enrolled at emerging optometry schools across the world. The specific aim is to strengthen emerging optometry schools by providing a clear pathway of auxiliary learning for faculty.
About the program
The Optometry Faculty Development Initiative’s leading goal is to support and enhance the training of optometrists enrolled in emerging optometry schools across the world.
The specific aim is to strengthen emerging optometry schools by providing a clear pathway of auxiliary learning for faculty. This includes access to courses specifically designed to build the critical educational skills and knowledge needed to support future optometrists.
This initiative includes access to the EyeTeach© program; a strategic teaching development program, Managing Myopia; a continuing education course for optometrists, plus access to social responsibility modules and innovative teaching and learning resources described in detail below.
It comprises of three teaching modules: Educational Design for Learning, Assessment or Problem-based Learning and Introduction to Clinical Teaching.
The Myopia Calculator
The Virtual Refractor
- Improve accuracy of refraction – elevates correct spectacle prescription
- Reduce costs – reducing supervised training and re-cutting of incorrect lenses
- Save time – practitioners are conducting refraction faster, whilst maintaining accuracy
Global Resource Platform
Designed primarily for students and lecturers of emerging optometry schools, it offers downloadable teaching and learning materials that are relevant and suitable for all other groups of eye care personnel.
Social Responsibility Courses
Gender Equity in Eye Health
This course aims for practitioners to be able to use the latest research and clinical procedures to successfully implement an appropriate myopia management plan, in order to limit myopia progression in their patients.
The 6 one-hour modules are:
- Module 1: Epidemiology, etiology and risk assessment videos (50 minutes)
- Module 2: Risk assessment case studies (60 minutes)
- Module 3: Behavioural advice & spectacles (60 minutes)
- Module 4: Multifocal contact lenses & orthokeratology (60 minutes)
- Module 5: Low-dose atropine & clinical tools (50 minutes)
- Module 6: Panel case discussion (60 min)